Friday, August 02, 2013

Passionless Collection - The Singapore Coin

Those are nicer words, I'm just a hoarder.

I've completed it!! The new series of Singapore coins, it is the 3rd design. And the theme this time? I suppose is popular Landmarks?

Pardon the poor photos, it is so damn hard to shoot them with the super shiny surfaces! Natural light cannot, superficial light also cannot! And most of all I don't have a macro lens.

Anyway this isn't a hard collection is it, there is only 5 of them and it is getting more and more common on the market, but I'm keeping this few because they are the first batch!

I read a blog before and the person is collecting the USA quarter? Because they had 50 different designs of the different states and each quarter was produced for about 10 weeks and will never be produced again.

Shiok, I would have gone collecting if I lived in the states. And the blogger said she did it for years.
Compare to hers, my 3 series isn't that hard, I did mine for a few days? in total, I wasn't on constant look out of them.

The comparison of the old and young, the 1st series is really huge! Look at the 50¢!

The Crest

And the designs

The 1st series was published in 1967, and the theme was marine.

The 2nd series starts in 1985, with floral designs.

They planned for the 2nd series to cease in 2017, that is 4 years, but I remember using those 1st coins very frequently when I was a kid, had a full piggy bank of them, but deposited when that pig was killed.
I have 2 sets of the floral series is because the crest had changed! Actually, that crest had been modified and used every where.

I wanted to keep all the older crest with 1985, but I couldn't find the one for $1, so I gave up. Later I realised that was because the Aluminium Bronze coin was publish only 2 years later. I didn't went back looking for them because, most of them are defaced like the one above.

The 1¢ coin was a fright, it mysteriously went missing! It have ceased production and almost nobody uses it already, it is so hard to look for it now, but luckily, my family is quite a hoarder too, mummy went digging and presented me a bag of them, and I took the chance and picked 2 of them. Haha, told you it is a passionless collection.
Had this book for the longest time, took it out and flipped.

Wahahaha, I have all of them! There is a limited edition of the 5¢, with a fish instead, I think I saw that when I got these but did not keep it, thinking it is not SG currency.

When I flipped to the next page, to my horror...
Up there at the top of the page is $1! I never know that there is a $1 coin for that series!

Actually most of the collection came from the belongings of a few elders who had left, especially the 1¢ of the first series. I had gone through all the coins but NEVER seen that before.

I took that book out and ask mummy if she had it and her reply was, "I saw it, but never had it before. And I didn't remember it until now." 

!!! She also thought the biggest denomination was 50¢!

She went on to ask, "You got collect these? I also have some."

Then she went to dig in her "dowry" drawer and presented me a pile of things.

Together with this

My eyes almost popped out when I open it.
It is a complete set! The Stylised Lion is sitting right in the middle PROUD, I felt the same when I saw it. Haha

When I told mum that she had a full collection and the $1 is there, she looked and say, "Oh, so this is where I saw the $1?"

I know I didn't inherited super memory from her right away.
Let's take a closer look of the extincted lion.

Later I read that the $1 wasn't commonly circulated (?), most of them are from these collective sets. But I see people selling like a whole stack of them online. *shrugs*

Below are the notes, most of them left behind by the elders.

The Orchids
It is the first of our Singapore Notes. None of them was collected on my own, the $500 and $1000 is from mummy which is why they are so wavy. The most special item here would be the $25, and sadly, I did not have it.

The Birds
I had the $1 and $10, others are the elders'.

The Ships
This was being circulated when I was a kid until 1999 the current one take over. There are 2 versions of the $2, the orange was later replaced by the purple.

Notice there is no $5 within them..... God, if I'm a real collector, I would have knocked my head against the wall already!

With all these super bad experience, I should put aside some of the Portrait series already, got 2 texture some more! The normal paper and the plastics.

Here are some specials,
 
Commemorative Notes
The $50 is actually from the Ship series, it is plastics, and the first I think.


Singapore Brunei 
This was publish about 10 years ago? SG and Brunei have this currency interchangeability agreement, in which both countries accepts each others currency.

Malaysia was with this at first but withdrawn.


millennium note

Actually I just found out about this. I was given by an uncle in the market some many years ago and he told me that this note is special, can keep it. The reason he gave was the ending number is triple 7, but it is actually the logo in front.

It is a 2000 logo which replaced the normal prefix, released in the year 2000.


So that's was about the SG currency.

Here are some BEFORE we have our own notes and coins.

The British Colony time!

Of course I didn't get them myself, they are from the elders.

Almost polish flat coins

There are some variations to the coins of the same denominations!

Straits Settlement, Malaya British, King George, King George and India Emperor and Queen Elizabeth. I don't know if they are the same.

When I see that 50¢, the term 五十大洋 came to my mind. Like those Hong Kong period dramas.

五十大洋 is always the price that they can't pay. Now I can throw it at them and ask them to stop crying already.


Well, I don't know what is this, but I saw similarities in those I saw in History textbook!

Like from some Ancient Civilisations, the Mayans or the Indians, Asoka? Can't remember the names, but no harm keeping one more. Next time do coin tracing also is fun.

I'm not a collector, it just happened that these came into my path and kept them for fun. Would I buy those I missed out like the $25? Nah, I would only want to exchange for the same price only, some of these were gotten by exchanging with the cash register last time.

Maybe leave it to my off springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment